Tuesday, May 01, 2007

American Idle? Where are the Manly Songs?

Is it my age (44) or has something gone awry with contemporary Christian worship? I used to love contemporary worship songs when I attended Inter-varsity Christian Fellowship in college. But even then I remember being clued into the words and what I was actually singing. There's no doubt that the advent of contemporary Christian music in worship has been spawned in the attempt to attract non-believers to attend church who would otherwise be completely turned off by stodgy old hymns. But where has this led us? Has the American church become idle in its monitoring of the actual content of our worship? Take a look at a popular worship song. Here are the lyrics:

This is the air I breathe

This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence
Living in me

This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word
Spoken to me

And I ... I'm desperate for you
And I ... I'm lost without you

This is air I breath
This is air I breathe
Your holy presence
Living in me

This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word
Spoken to me

And I ... I'm desperate for you
And I ... I'm lost without you (eh hey, yeah)
And I ... I'm desperate for you
And I ... I'm lost without you

And I ... I'm desperate for you
And I ... I'm lost without you
I'm lost without you
I'm lost without you
I'm lost without you (father)
I'm lost..without you

This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe


You can readily see numerous occurrences of personal pronouns. I count (25) occurrences of "I", "I'm", "me", and "my". I count (16) occurrences of personal pronouns for Whom I assume is either Jesus or God (this is not clearly spelled out and for all I know the lyricist could have been singing to Buddha) and this is being liberal with some of the terms used and giving the lyricist the benefit of the doubt. But aside from the tally of personal pronouns for me vs. personal pronouns for God (and the fact that the song for me is just to "gooey"), what are we actually singing about here? Yes, the song opines that we need God. But nowhere does it say why. So you are left with merely an emotional proclamation of how God makes me feel. This song is really about how the presence of God has affected someone emotionally, not theologically.

Now, I am not advocating that we resort back to hymns. But I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater here either. The great thing about hymns is that they are packed with theology. They are the worship of God through the singing of absolute truths. Just look at songs like "Amazing Grace" or "And Can It Be That I Should Gain?", they are packed with theology and they speak of what God has done as opposed to how we feel. Our feelings are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I am not questioning whether or not a worship song should move us, but I am questioning what it is about that song that moves us. Are we moved because the song is melodious and wispy and zeros in on how we feel, or are we moved because we are overcome by the realities of what Christ has done for us? It's great to attract non-Christians to worship through contemporary music, but what is the goal here? Simply to get non-Christians to become Christians through emotional singing, or to bring non-Christians to faith through overwhelming truth that breeds an emotion of its own upon conversion?

I have to mention one more popular song here. And it is oddly enough called “The Heart of Worship”. Look at the first few lines:

"When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
A Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless Your heart"


Now this is an interesting concept (pretty existential) the idea of us being able to give God something to bless Him (truer theology is that we have nothing of merit to give Him, and that is why we need Him in us). But so far the focus is on us and not God. Not saying the song doesn’t have good intentions, but it certainly does not pass the litmus test of being “worshipful”. The next few lines:

"I'll bring you more than a song For a song in itself
Is not what you have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart"


Again, good introspection here from the lyricist, and I’m sure this was an outpouring of real emotion into song. But it still does not qualify as worshipful. Now here is where it gets interesting:

CHORUS:
"I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And its all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When its all about You
It's all about You"


The lyricist states that they are coming back to the heart of worship and that it should all be about God. EXACTLY, that is what worship is – completely about God and not us. Then there is the lament of making it something else. I would be very curious to know what that "something else" was although I could guess based on the fact that this is still about the lyricist and not about God. “I’m” coming back to the heart of worship (even though worship is about you). And even though you are the heart of worship, “I” am sorry for what I’ve made it. Again, great introspection and realization of what worship should be, but this song is about someone’s experience and NOT about God. I’ll stop here, but the lyrics do not get any more worshipful. And that is not a slap on the song. The song is what it is – a melodious outpouring of the lyricist’s experience, but it should not be confused with worship. But since it has the word “worship” in it, I guess we think we should sing it in church (this, and because it manufactures emotion within us). I think what bothers me most about this song is that I fully believe it was written with the full intent to be used in Sunday worship, otherwise the chorus seems contrived and doesn't fit with the previous introspection. In other words, worship is mostly used with a sense of "corporateness" whereas introspection is individual.

Where are the manly songs with bold affirmation sung loudly as opposed to the "whispery voice" meditative songs?! And where has the notion developed that true worship involves overt feelings? And where is the balance in singing about God’s holiness as well as His love? Have we abandoned the fact that the mind must also be engaged in worship? Has anyone ever thought to contemporize some of these old hymns? Let's revisit the old hymn "And Can It Be That I Should Gain?". Look at these lyrics:

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."


Now that's some "manly" truth! Certainly we could "contemporize" this.

All contemporary Christian worship songs are not as lacking in theology as the ones I have mentioned here, but even the ones that contain some amount of theology still lean on manufacturing emotion or sentimentality by focusing on how the Christian feels rather than focusing on what God has done and letting these truths naturally create emotion. It could be argued that singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of Gilligan's Island could be more biblical from a worship standpoint than singing some of our contemporary songs. This begs the question as to whether or not the emotion generated actually stems from Christian joy or from mere sentimentality. One of my favorite old TV shows was Wild, Wild West. One of the evil characters on that show "Dr. Loveless" made the statement one time that always stuck with me. He said, “Faith without doubt is mere sentimentality." And after looking at most of the contemporary Christian worship songs, I have to wonder whether or not sentimentality in our worship songs creates a false sense of salvation by having more of a foundation in emotions rather than truth. What sustains and comforts us in our times of trial - the feelings we had when we were singing in worship, or the absolute truths we were singing about and can sing about during these trials as reaffirmation?

23 comments:

Thoughts From Jeff said...

sounds like a lot of I's still to me ...

Anonymous said...

do you have any suggestions about songs that outline the rugged and buff side of Jesus? i've been reading a lot lately, and it's very disturbing to me that the Ace Ventura's in this world aren't as able to experience Christ as the rest of us are. all it takes though is speaking up to verious churches about reaching a wider spectrum of people through what attracts them as well as physically traveling long distances.

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I think precise post. Specially the appellation attracted me to read the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Forget Slow Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Swiftly Find HD Movies, PC Games, Music, Software & Download Them at Alarming Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
No More Idle Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Swiftly Find Movies, PC Games, MP3 Albums, Software & Download Them at Fast Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Skip Sluggish Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Rapidly Find HD Movies, Console Games, MP3 Singles, Software & Download Them @ Alarming Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Hit to the savage with two backs casinos? confirm this unformed [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] advisor and around up online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also into our up to the anybody sec [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] dodge at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and overwhelm accurate folding shin-plasters !
another late-model [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] purlieus is www.ttittancasino.com , as a substitute in compensation of german gamblers, subsection in magnanimous online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

Wanna Get HIGH? Running out of Supply? Then Check Out My Shit!
>>>>> http://bestlegalhighsdrugs.info <<<<
If you have questions, you can email my boy at online.mentor [at] gmail.com


[size=1] IGNORE THIS----------------------------
ecsrasy ills fly agaric preparation [url=http://bestlegalhighsdrugs.info] legal highs that work [/url] bufl slvarius salvi ivinorum [url=http://buybudshoplegalherbs.info] legal herb reviews[/url] magic mushroom grow kits what is marijuana [url=HTTP://BUYINGMARIJUANASALE.INFO] Buy Ganja [/url] byfo alvaruis barely legal highs [url=HTTP://BUYLEGALBUDSCOMREVIEWS.INFO] legal buds [/url] marijuana psilocybe mushroom pictures [url=HTTP://CANNABISHIGH-PILLSHIGH.INFO] Ganja Effects[/url] magic mushroom grow kits aamnita muscarua [url=HTTP://HOWTOBUYWEED-BUYINGWEED.INFO] buying ganja[/url] Cheap Legal Herbs easy hashish [url=http://legalbud.drugreviews.info] legal buds [/url]

dxm hashish pictures [url=http://legalweed.lamodalatina.com] legalweed [/url] lines ballet salvia extract effects [url=http://buysalvia.lamodalatina.com] order salvia extracts[/url] starting a pineapple plant amanita muscaria youtube

aslvia divinorrum amnaita muscraia [url=http://legalweed.lamodalatina.com] legal weed [/url] Tips For Passing A Weed Drug Test ananita muscaroa [url=http://buysalviacheap.com] get salvia[/url] manita kuscaria salgia divinorumm
[url=http://guaranteedheightincrease.info/]height improvement[/url] - http://guaranteedheightincrease.info/
height increase - http://guaranteedheightincrease.info
[url=http://provenpenisenlargement.info/]proven penis lengthening[/url] - http://provenpenisenlargement.info/
proven penis growth - http://provenpenisenlargement.info/
[url=http://provenskincareadvice.info/]skin care advice[/url] - http://provenskincareadvice.info/
skin care techniques - http://provenskincareadvice.info/
[url=http://getrichgambling.info/]get rich gambling[/url] - http://getrichgambling.info/
get money gambling - http://getrichgambling.info/
[url=http://herpesoutbreak-gentalwarts.info/]herpes outbreaks[/url] - http://herpesoutbreak-gentalwarts.info/
herpes outbreak - http://herpesoutbreak-gentalwarts.info/
[url=http://STOP-PREMATURE-EJACULATION-SOLUTIONS.INFO]cure premature ejaculation[/url] - http://STOP-PREMATURE-EJACULATION-SOLUTIONS.INFO
cure premature ejaculation - http://STOP-PREMATURE-EJACULATION-SOLUTIONS.INFO
[url=http://3GMOBILEPHONESFORSALE.INFO]mobile cell phone on sale[/url] - http://3GMOBILEPHONESFORSALE.INFO
mobile cellphones for sale - http://3GMOBILEPHONESFORSALE.INFO
[url=http://internationaloddities.reviewsdiscountsonline.com] international oddities scams[/url]
internationaloddities scam
[url=http://drobuds.reviewsdiscountsonline.com]buy dro bud [/url]
review of dro buds
[url=http://bestacnetreatmentreviews.info] best acne treatment reviews[/url] http://bestacnetreatmentreviews.info
best acne treatment reviews http://bestacnetreatmentreviews.info
[url=HTTP://LEARN-HYPNOSIS-ONLINE.INFO]learn hypnosis online[/url]
learn hypnotism online

Anonymous said...

Dear Alisa,

For long time I use this freeware: [url=http://www.freeflvtomp3converter.com]FLV to MP3 free converter[/url].

FLV to MP3 free converter is a free YouTube, MegaVideo, ClipShack and similar video sites to MP3 Converter and allows you to convert a video to MP3 file.

This software is fast, free, and requires no signup. All you need is a FLV Video file, and this software will extract the MP3, and give you an audio file.

So you are able to listen to your favorite YouTube tracks on every MP3 player.

You can download it for free at [url=http://www.freeflvtomp3converter.com]www.freeflvtomp3converter.com[/url].

I hope this help you.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine mentioned 2012 last night to me and it's the first I heard about it so I jumped on here out of curiosity. I think it's kind of sick and sounds like a bunch of skeptical jargon.
I choose to live every day like it is the last because let's be real, WHO THE HELL KNOWS what is going to happen or when it's your time to go on. The past is history, the future is a mystery and now is a gift, thats why it's called the present. It's not healthy to sit around and trip out about when you will die. Stop wasting your time you have now.
[url=http://2012earth.net/earth_role_in_the_universe.html
]global economic crisis 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

Anonymous said...

I am able to make link exchange with HIGH pr pages on related keywords like [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com]bad credit loans[/url] and other financial keywords.
My web page is www.usainstantpayday.com

If your page is important contact me.
please only good pages, wih PR>2 and related to financial keywords
Thanks
Gantonnemonse

Anonymous said...

Using an escort service providing agency's website, you can now book your girl after you choose her. Also, you can make the payment against her using the web itself.
Be it at morning 9 a.m. or midnight 23 a.m., escorts 24 x 7 services let you get the hottest stuff on earth the moment you want, they way you want!
To avail escort girls' services, you need not do anything now.
Doing on work and not enjoying pleasures like kisses, touches and romance can make a person psychologically disturbed.
You can use New York independent Escort service for enjoying some time in the company of Bijou in New York.New York is the capital of West Bangal. With these girls, you will not feel you are getting some kind of service, the experience will be so real that it will almost like a real date.
[url=http://bijouescorts.com]Queen Escort[/url] In the last few years, the entire US industry has seen a drastic change - change that has represented more of growth. Girls who are hospitable and who have flair to serve people with the best fun services have been recruited by the New York escort agencies thus satiating every pleasure need of clients. With online presence of the New York agencies, it's been extremely easy for people like you to browse through the listed girls' profiles so as to find out which girl would be able to serve you better. When it comes to enjoying a session with a New York escort girl, a lot of things may come to your mind. Her physical beauty, area of specialization, capability of fulfilling fetishes, friendliness all may play a major role in letting you choose our girl accordingly. Most of the New York escorts agencies feature full information of girls' physical attributes, their hair color, sexual orientation, area of services and even of pricings. So, it's just a completely easy affair to know more about them on their website itself.

Some agencies also offer the service of having the escorts for a longer period. For this, customers need to pay more and enjoy a pleasant holiday tour with the escort.
To book for the most desiring lady of your choice, search online for the various websites offering the adult entertainment company presenting a brief profile of the ladies in their gallery along with snapshots of them. The booking process is very easy and user friendly with many viable payment options available. You will get the list of services offered by the agency and all you need to do is choose the one that matches your requirements.
http://bijouescorts.com Not to mention about the prime New York locations where these girls have their major service bases. Whether you want to visit any one of them in her luxury apartment or you want her to come to your place, you can enjoy whatever suits you the best. Also, you can take an escort girl to a hotel or to a resort where you can spend some quality time with her for a lifelong experience. All girls are expert at customer satisfaction and they can ignite any session with passion fire occupying every part of their sexy, curvaceous and sultry figures.

Anonymous said...

if you guys desideratum to sharp [url=http://www.generic4you.com]viagra[/url] online you can do it at www.generic4you.com, the most trusted viagra pharmaceutics grant of generic drugs.
you can engagement into uncover drugs like [url=http://www.generic4you.com/Sildenafil_Citrate_Viagra-p2.html]viagra[/url], [url=http://www.generic4you.com/Tadalafil-p1.html]cialis[/url], [url=http://www.generic4you.com/VardenafilLevitra-p3.html]levitra[/url] and more at www.rxpillsmd.net, the unsurpassed [url=http://www.rxpillsmd.net]viagra[/url] chief series on the web. well another great [url=http://www.i-buy-viagra.com]viagra[/url] pharmacy you can find at www.i-buy-viagra.com

Anonymous said...

If you are a novice gambler you probably haven’t heard the term but professional bettors who earn their livelihood from sports betting use the method all the time taking advantage of the variance in odds from the opinions of the diverse number of bookmakers. Even though it sounds as if it is a no risk situation that may not always be the case and there some issues that can cause you to lose.

The Parlay System is one of the most famous of betting systems that are commonly used in horse racing. Many have said that contrary to other sports betting systems, the Parlay System has a pyramiding effect on your profit which means your winnings are played on successive wagers.
[url=http://www.pulsebet.com]football odds[/url]
The changes that are going to be made to the Wire Act are quite simple. First and foremost the internet will be added to the list of wire communications that are prohibited. Of course the internet was not around in 1961 so it was not included in the first draft. In addition, penalties for breaking the Wire Act will increase from a maximum of two years in prison to five.

The problem is, most people wouldn't know where to begin if they had to devise their own worthwhile Selection System, and those clever enough to be able to do so simply wouldn't have the time to do it (it is an arduous task). In fact, there are only two groups of people who do bother to spend the time and money to do so properly: (i) Bookies and (ii) sports tipsters. However, while you can be 100% sure that all Bookies operate a good Selection System (but they won't share it with you), you can be sure that 99% of so-called expert tipsters don't. The number of tipsters doing a proper job on the Internet can probably be counted on the fingers of just two hands.

Anonymous said...

Although you cannot predict outcome of any bingo game, yet, you can be persistent and optimistic of winning a game of online bingo by following such simple and easy strategies. [url=http://www.bingokisses.com]online bingo games[/url] You have to mark all numbers in any given pattern or combination like diagonal, vertical, horizontal or a total blackout by marking all numbers in your card. The game stops as soon as any single player calls out 'bingo' after completing any particular combination or pattern. Thereafter, a new game ensues. [url=http://www.bingokisses.com]play free bingo[/url] The easiest way to avoid falling victim to a scam is to know the site on which you choose to play. One of the ways this can be accomplished is to talk to other people who play online Bingo to get a feel for the sites they use and what kind of experiences they have had with the site. In most cases, word of mouth is going to be your most accurate means of determining the legitimacy of a Bingo or any other gaming site. Of course, if you are using a free site, knowing about the experiences that others have had with the site is not quite as important, although you do not want to waste your time with something that is unlikely to produce any beneficial results. Of course, a free site is not going to give you much in the way of monetary compensation, and the prizes may be minimal, but for those who are addicted to the game, the challenge is there.
no deposit bingo bingo
In bingo, each player will get a sheet, which has six cards with a total of 90 numbers. On each one of these bingo cards, you will find 27 spaces grouped in 9 columns x 3 rows format. Each number is unduplicated; hence, it will not be repeated anywhere else in the sheet.

Anonymous said...

well guys! halt the latest unregulated rid of [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]casino[/url] games like roulette and slots !endorse loose the all chic unburden [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]online casino[/url] games at the all behindhand www.casinolasvegass.com, the most trusted [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com]online casinos[/url] on the cobweb! engage more favourably of our [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/download.html]free casino software download[/url] and bring home the bacon money.
you can also discontinuation other [url=http://sites.google.com/site/onlinecasinogames2010/]online casinos bonus[/url] . check out this new [url=http://www.place-a-bet.net/]online casino[/url].

Anonymous said...

Frame the animal with two backs casinos? enquire this new [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] games. counsel and production online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also delay our untrained [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] steer at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and draw material incredibly misled !
another solitary [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino[/url] spiele site is www.ttittancasino.com , in consideration german gamblers, get unrestrained online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

Queensland Airport is bound to be more busy this year with more airlines and additional flights upon in. But the disadvantage is these airfares are consistently non-refundable and request a Saturday anti aging night stay.This residence is responsible to suit various cheap journeys to Dubai since of to its unbelievable sight and magnificent facilities. Down under Airport is certain to be more busy this year with more airlines in addition , additional flights coming in.[url=http://www.vflights.co.uk/cheap-flights-orlando] click here [/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.navorrobowmanjersey.com/]NaVorro Bowman Nike Jersey[/url]

He should allow himself appropriate training to fulfill his responsibilitiesThough, the pearl is not technically a stone at all, it's beauty has earned it a place in the Big 5 of precious stones His attitude and behaviour declare just not recklessness but also unprofessionalism Often though, the perk training workshops are for skills many people in the group could use (or maybe they'll all be sent over-time; after all, everyone can't be gone at once

[url=http://www.officialbearsjerseystore.com/]Bears Julius Peppers Jersey[/url]

Practicing into a tape recorder is the next best thing because it allows you to hear the voice others will hearThe pearl is the birthstone for the month of June Also be sure to clean the underside of the wires 2

[url=http://www.officialtexanspros.com/]Texan JJ Watt Jersey[/url]

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]free casino games[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]casino games[/url] autonomous no deposit reward at the foremost [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]bay watch casino
[/url].

Anonymous said...


[url=http://shensacen.sosblogs.com/The-first-blog-b1/Pourquoi-Fashion-Handbags-Make-Good-Gifts-Et-Parfums-N-est-ce-pas-b1-p2.htm][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmao.ucoz.com/index/shenenmao/0-4][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyii.freeblog.hu/][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://en.netlog.com/shenenmaoyie/blog/blogid=16180213][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyis.eklablog.com/][b]sac longchamp[/b][/url]

Anonymous said...

These high energy photons are then focused to a small spot (much like you did at school when you used a magnifying glass to focus the sunlight to burn [url=http://www.paulsmithcity.com/]ポールスミス 財布[/url] ポールスミスバッグ http://www.paulsmithcity.com/ things!). If it is a vector laser, this [url=http://www.paulsmithland.com/]ポールスミス アウトレット[/url]ポールスミス 時計 http://www.paulsmithland.com/ beam is deflected and directed using a pair of mirrors (X and Y deflection). This guide [url=http://www.paulsmithsunny.com/]ポールスミス(Paul Smith)[/url] ポールスミス通販 http://www.paulsmithsunny.com/ will help you understand the capabilities of the 3 most common lasers available in the market today:.
angry neighbor allegedly shot gun at four