Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cinderella Man

I recently watched the movie Cinderella Man.

Cinderella Man is the true story of James Braddock who was boxing's heavyweight champion from 1935-1937. Braddock lived during the Depression years and although he made a decent living from boxing, like most he lost everything when the Depression hit. On top of this, in trying to move up in weight class from light heavyweight to heavyweight, he broke his hand during one of his fights which led to subsequent losses. In turn, these losses caused his career to spiral downward.

Braddock had six mouths to feed and was forced to swallow his pride in numerous instances just to make ends meet and care for his family. The movie depicts him standing behind a fence with many other men hoping to be selected for dock work for the day. He also is depicted asking for help from some of his former boxing associates as he passes his hat around for handouts. He is shown standing in line for government assistance. All this to make ends meet until fortuitously he was able to get his boxing career back on track and eventually win the heavyweight boxing title.

I found several aspects of this movie compelling. I found it ironic that (just as today's athletes) Braddock was fighting for money. Yep, it was all about the money. However, it was not money for the "hottest new car", but money simply for "heat". Not money for "suits and power ties", but simply for "power", as in electrical power. And not money simply for the sake of having money or to have a lot of "green", but simply money to stay "out of the red" and stay "in the black". The value of money had one, simple meaning to Braddock and his family - survival.

Two things struck me most about this movie. The first thing was that life seemed a lot more "simple" then. Not simple as opposed to "difficult", but rather simple as opposed to "complicated". And I mean "complicated" in the sense of being "busy and multi-faceted"as our lives often seem today. Living wasn't complicated for Braddock. He needed to work. He needed to make money. He needed to provide for his family their basic needs - food and warmth. It was that "simple".

Second, there seemed to be a whole 'nuther set of (what I'll call) "simple" values being adhered to that seemingly garner little attention or honor today - Christian values I might add that are not particularly emphasized today (at least, I rarely hear it from the pulpit). Simple values that involve caring for your family first and foremost. Simple values of earning a living. Simple values that do not expect the world to take care of you. Simple values that say "I will live my life correctly no matter how long, and arduous, and seemingly unproductive it seems in the immediate. I will persevere if only inch by inch." Simple values that say, "I may not do many things, but I will do the basic things, the little things, the right things, the simple things!"


THE SIMPLE LIFE

My mind keeps chewing on this idea of "the simple life" and makes me ask myself the question - "Why would Paris and Nicole ever subject themselves to feeding pigs?" Actually, I am kidding, but there is relevance here. What you had with this show (among other things) was today's postmodern, complicated culture moving through a time warp into an era (in the not so distant past I might add) of what most would call simple living. What ultimately made this show interesting? funny? sad? was not that Paris and Nicole were "stupid", but rather that they were "ignorant" - ignorant to the ways of a life they have never before known. From their world view, the notion of milking cows and slopping pigs seemed irrelevant, insignificant, and meaningless. It wasn't that they never understood what to do (once they were told), but rather that they were unable to see the meaning in what they were doing and the relevance to what they normally would do in their postmodern, techno world. From their world view, there were much more important things to be doing.

Which really gets to the questions that keep being raised in my own mind - "Where has this notion of the "simple life" gone as relates to our Christianity? Are there ways that today's postmodern, techno church does not see or comprehend the relevance of a more "simple" Christianity? Does today's church tend to over-emphasize certain aspects of Christian living which are more in line with the thinking of a postmodern culture and by doing so diminish the importance of some basic, simple, and foundational Christian living principles?

In my mind, I believe that the church is currently placing more emphasis on "doing" rather than "being". It also seems that the church (as does our postmodern society) currently places more emphasis on "quantifiable" ministry over and above "unquantifiable" ministry. In other words, the church seems to value and emphasize more, say, the ministry of evangelism over and above the ministry of discipleship as well as the ministry of caring for one's own family. I am not saying that more people are involved in ministering to other's around the world than they are their own families. This is not about what is actually being "done", but rather what is actually being "valued" and "emphasized" in our churches. The reason that I come up with for this seems to ultimately come back to the apparent fact that we as American, evangelical Christians now value "visible" productivity more than anything else - similar to our technological, postmodern society. We value "definable" goals and "visible" progress. We tend to deem more spiritual those ministries that have "definable" goals and "visible" and "overt" results. We deem as praise-worthy "tangible" and "visible" forward movement.

Conversely, we speak and focus little on less visible (indeed, almost invisible) and covert productivity. We speak little these days of the under appreciated, under celebrated, and relatively unnoticed covert world of ministering to one's own family and one's own personal sanctification and holiness. This aspect of simple living gains little attention or acknowledgment today (unless your kids act up in public and their behavior then can seemingly become an indictment on your parenting skills). The church would not deny the importance of personal holiness and sanctification of its parishioners, nor the importance of properly raising a family, but it's as if these important aspects of Christian living are now sort of taken for granted as "things that anybody can do at any time if they choose, but there are more important things to be concerned with" - not so dissimilar to how Paris and Nicole would view pig slopping. So the bigger fish to fry are the "productive" ministries of evangelism and ministry to the poor and homeless. While in the meantime, personal holiness and sanctification are seemingly left unattended on the back burner.

I find it interesting that we do not value simple living any more! Living in a community. Caring for one another's needs. Intentionally raising a family. Pursuing holiness. I do not see these aspects of Christian life being advocated any more nor praised. In fact, I think we tend to look back at previous generations of Christians who held such values and subconsciously deem them as uninformed, uneducated, unproductive, milk toast, isolationists who, but by the grace of God, barely make it into the Kingdom. We likewise subconsciously give ourselves a spiritual pat on the back if we are actively engaged with the world at large in highly visible ministries and we value others we see doing likewise. Anything less is being slackard. "Let me see something tangible" is seemingly the subconscious mentality and mantra of our churches which has been adopted from the post modern culture we live in. Maybe it is a backlash as well against a Church that seemingly cared little for the outside world going back to the 1970's. Regardless, it feels as though the good intentions of trying to get the evangelical church to engage the unbelieving, outside world has actually turned into an exchanging of values: giving up simple values that do not necessarily produce visible, measurable progress for more complex values that will produce visible, measurable progress. In other words, in our attempt to gain spiritual ground by trying to get the church to be more involved with and engaged with the outside world and thus gaining measurable converts, we have given up the once secure ground of simple, peaceful, meditative, family living that produces the often immeasurable progress of holiness and sanctification.


BLAISE PASCAL WAS A BIG, FAT, "DO-NOTHING"!

Look at your church and see which type of parishioners are apparently thriving and appreciated these days. My guess is it's the type A personalities. Type A personalities are "go getters", "get something done", "don't bother me with details" type of Christians. "Producers", "movers and shakers". These people get visible, tangible, and measurable results. I can't help but think how monks who translated Scripture would be viewed in today's society. These were considered pious and spiritual men in their day. What a waste of time translating all of those manuscripts when there was always the more quickly producible results of feeding the poor or gaining converts by witnessing to pagan tribes. How would a Blaise Pascal be viewed in today's society? Pascal was renowned essentially for his "thinking". In today's evangelical culture, he would be viewed as a "do nothing introspective" who wastes his time alone pondering the intricacies of Christian living who (in the process of his non-productivity) makes life much more arduous and plodding than it has to be. I can hear it now! We would tell him to "Focus! What is your goal here?! Where are you and where are you going? Let's come up with some concrete ideas here. Ethereal thinking does not produce tangible, replicable results! We need plans and processes! We need flow charts that stay on topic! Simple, concrete topics! If you can't explain it to us in 5 minutes, and we cannot implement it in 10 minutes, then it is useless to anyone!" My fear is we would also subconsciously want to say this to our theologians as well.

This concept of "productivity" is so ingrained in us that we automatically bring it into our relationship with God. Admit it. We feel better about ourselves if we are actively engaged in visible ministries. If we didn't we would be spending more time alone with God. How many of us spend more time alone with God than in ministry? How would ministers be viewed if they spent over half of their time alone with God and less than half in visible ministry? How many ministers in an effort to be productive work too many hours to the detriment of their own family's spiritual growth and health? Why do they do this if visible Christian ministry and measurable productivity are not being valued more than (and over and above) simple, unmeasurable, mostly invisible and (at times) seemingly unproductive family ministry? Because evangelism and ministry has come to be valued more than discipleship and holiness - discipleship of one's own family and the sanctification of one's own personal life. It's the Mary/Martha syndrome. Deep down we really respect more the busyness and productivity of Martha over and above Mary's seemingly unproductive sitting in the presence of Christ. Again, I am not saying that the majority of church goers are off being overly productive. I am saying that the leadership in our churches seem to be more afraid of their church being non-productive than they are non-holy. Yes, there still are a great many parishioners that are not involved as they should be, but the one's who are involved have seemingly adopted their leadership's mentality which is "we got to be doing something".


AMERICAN GOTHIC

This painting gave me nightmares as a kid. I was so afraid of waking up one day and these two being my grandparents. Look at those faces and tell me a spanking is not on the way!

Ask us today what first comes to our minds when viewing this painting and we would probably say, "They'd be a lot more productive if they used a combine instead of a pitchfork!" The unspoken assumption and value system behind such a statement would be that productivity is always "good", and by definition must be "fast", must be "visible", must be "measurable", and the "more people" it affects the better. But we would not be prone to stop and think of how one, single man's life might be affected in "relatively smaller", "invisible", "unmeasurable" ways by going from a pitchfork to a combine.

What about the loss of personal, spiritual growth that comes from the more strenuous task of using a pitchfork as one tries to fulfill God's command of tilling the land. It could be argued that the combine is a way to try and reverse the effects of the Fall (that's a whole 'nuther blog). What about the loss of a sense of work ethic in going to a combine? (I don't think most of us Americans feel the weight of the curse to till the land in light of the fact that work has become less physical due to technological advances - again, another blog, another time). Does work for the individual become more about production and making money than about earning a living and providing for your family? (I find it interesting that in the days of my grandparents, hard work helped define one's character and today we hear sermons on how your job should not define who you are). Are we taking the time to consciously weigh the positive effects for the masses against the corresponding negative effects for the one individual?

It's funny, we have exchanged deep thinking and simple living with simple thinking and complicated living. We have exchanged a smaller quantity of inch wide and mile deep Christians for a larger quantity of mile wide and inch deep Christians. It's like we are afraid that Christ has already set the time for His return and that He will come back before we can evangelize the world and bring to faith everyone that is supposed to be a Christian. How screwy is that thinking? Doesn't God set the time table? Do you really think he is relying on us to be productive and on time? How silly is the notion that it is a race to the rapture to see how many people we can bring to faith? Is God not bigger than this anyway? Don't you think God will bring to faith those whom he has predestined with or without you?

Certainly we should be involved in ministry, but this American post modern idea of "productivity" is prevalent in our church it seems. I hear sermons on ministry to the outside world. I do not hear sermons any more on how you are ministering to your family or how you are nurturing your spiritual life. I see ministries primarily focused on the outside world. I do not see ministries primarily focused on those within the church. Why are we trying to measure the immeasurable and acting as if we are critical to God's plans? Is that a blasphemous statement? I said "critical", not "helpful".

In his book "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction", Eugene Peterson once said, "There is a great market for religious experience in our world; there is little enthusiasm for the patient acquisition of virtue, little inclination to sign up for a long apprenticeship in what earlier generations of Christians called holiness." He made this observation 28 years ago. For us, I would be prone to change the phrase "religious experience" to "religious productivity".

I know there has always been the issue of mobilizing the laity, but our preaching and leadership must be balanced. We cannot abandon the message and theology behind personal sanctification and holiness in an effort to hammer home the need for evangelical involvement. Maybe a more balanced message from those in leadership would mobilize more of the laity. But it's as if our fear is so great of not being productive that we leave more to chance with personal growth and holiness which cannot be seen or calculated, than we do with ministry and evangelism which are visible and in many ways can be calculated. And this is evident in what we preach and emphasize to the laity.


BACK TO CINDERELLA MAN

I've digressed a long way from Cinderella Man. But all this to say that there is a part of me that longs for "simpler" times. Is that a bad thing to long for? Is that a good thing to long for? I don't know. But I do believe we need to re-think what "progress" and "productivity" really mean to Christians and not leave it to the postmodern world to define it for us. And I do believe we need to re-evaluate what our fundamental beliefs are about Christian living and begin to balance this with our views of evangelism and ministry. Indeed, personal and family Christian living should be the foundation for evangelism and ministry. The cart must be kept before the horse (ah, a simple phrase from a day gone by).

4 comments:

twentystone said...

If you wrote shorter posts, I wouldn't have to write such long comments.

I think the evangelism vs. discipleship dichotomy is a false one. The good shepherd leaves the 99 and seeks the 1. When evangelism is evaluated in purely quantifiable terms, this view fails to be "productive and efficient" -- not to mention that the 99 are generally pissed that the shepherd is wandering around the countryside instead of attending to their needs. I think there's more to this, and maybe they're my issues.

"Simple thinking and complicated living" -- that's it!

I believe the category of "productivity" is predominantly a modernist category -- which is why the church is becoming increasingly irrelevant for the non-Christian. It's not that people are atheistic today it's that they're apatheistic -- it's long since been that many have in considered whether the existence of God was a question worth asking. In this light, the post-modern has a lot for the church to listen to. But as you allude to, the answer is not in our become better modernist or more relevant post-modernist. Rather, the answer is the simple discipleship of gospel-living -- individually and corporately.

I do love to think deeply. Thanks for calling me to it.

Pax

Saint Gregory the Melancholic said...

I know, it was intolerably long!

And, yes, the good shepherd does leave the 99 and go after the one.....but he doesn't go after the one, and then never come back to the other 99 as he looks for other lost sheep.
PDDS,

I do agree. I don't think there are many asking themselves the question of the existence of God. And I feel like the church is asking a sugar coated version of this question that asks, "Do you think the existence of God would make you feel good - especially if he fit into all of the programs you now attend?"

Saint Gregory the Melancholic said...

I might add that it's all a matter of perspective on who is lost and who is found. Doesn't it stand to reason that if the shepherd finds the one sheep and leaves the other 99 unattended that they are the ones now lost?

twentystone said...

Okay, Mr. Cheeky Monkey. Desertion is not the same thing as expedition.

Consequently, the "sheep know my voice," Jesus said, and they follow where the Good Shepherd leads.

I don't think he goes to the Christian-consumerist-commodified-Christ-mall where I get all my Christian needs met -- especially the nurturing I think I'm entitled too because I've purchased a membership. He is in the community to do as Christ has done and where he goes is to his neighbor. Don't ask, "Yes, but who's my neighbor?" That question has been answered.